Friday, April 25, 2014

Hope is a Gift

 "Hope is a gift only we can give each other." ~ Elie Wiesel

 
This was a demo painting I started a while ago. I almost always begin with a richly colored  background and loose shapes. I don't focus on any details yet. I do anticipate many changes and adjustments to come....changes that will teach me something along the way.

 If a painting is going really well, I try not to stop or stay safe because then, I'm not growing or stretching myself. If a painting is going badly, I know there will be a breakthrough around the corner if I keep at it. Art can't be made out of over-attachment or the fear of losing something too precious. The painting practice is about letting go, again and again.


"Hope is faith, holding out its hand in the dark." ~ George Isles



Mixed-media supplies used: watercolor, gouache, paint pens, feathers, sequins, mylar film, & stitch (sewing machine).

************

On a very sad note: our pet, Thistle, passed away two days ago. I've been meditating on the poem below all week. I can still feel her tugging on my shirt, wanting to be picked up. Yes, I feel you little girl. And I will always love you...

"Do not stand at my grave and weep. 
 I am not there. I do not sleep. 
 I am a thousand winds that blow. 
 I am the diamond glints on snow. 
 I am the sunlight on ripened grain. 
 I am the gentle autumn rain. 
 When you awaken in the morning's hush,  
I am the swift uplifting rush 
 Of quiet birds in circled flight. 
I am the soft stars that shine at night. 
 Do not stand at my grave and cry; 
 I am not there. I did not die." 

~ Mary E. Frye

3 comments:

Janet Ghio said...

I am so sorry about your pet. We love them so much and always loved the poem you wrote here and your big pink moon is yummy!

Gina Lee Kim said...

Thank you Janet. I really appreciate it.

Jess said...

First of all, I'm sorry to hear your sad news and sending you a hug. Secondly, the painting is absolutely gorgeous and I find your words so inpsiring about the painting process. I love how the image turned out, it's magical!
Jess x x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...