Saturday, March 1, 2014

Warm & Cool: How I Organize, Colorize & Create

Hello! And if you're coming from my post at The Sketchbook Challenge (TSC) Blog, welcome back!


One of my favorite approach to art journaling is using analogous colors. Analogous means selecting neighboring hues in a color wheel. When I limit myself to only 4 to 5 adjacent colors, I almost always get a harmonious result.

Grouping colors this way takes the guess work away, especially when starting on a blank page.

This warm/cool theme is literally:

 how I organize my watercolor palettes,

how I arrange my acrylic & craft paints, 

how I catalog my magazines,

how I systemize my pens & markers, 

 how I travel with my watercolor pencils, 

and how I baby my washi tapes!


What can I say....I'm a color nerd.


There is no medical cure for rainbow-itis. And that's fine by me LOL.

************

So, as promised from my post on the TSC blog, here is a painting I did using warm analogous colors. Completed in 30 minutes. Set a timer and go!



OK. I think I'm done. Yay for stencils :)



Thanks for visiting, dear friends.

10 comments:

Janet Ghio said...

Just beautiful!

Dana said...

I've been thinking a lot about color and color combinations lately, and you're post is really helpful. Thank you! Love the painting—absolutely gorgeous!

Timaree said...

It came out really nice. I wonder, did you have the idea of what you were going to paint in mind already when you lay down the yellow or did the yellow background suggest a subject?

Gina Lee Kim said...

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the comments! To answer Timaree's excellent question, my answer is: it depends. Somedays I know exactly what I want to paint (like here, I knew I wanted to create a still-life of vase and flowers). But often times I like to paint intuitively and let the initial colors mingle, then dry. This abstract background will suggest to me what painting it wants to be.

lazykate said...

As a dyer and spinner, your approach is really inspiring to me. I find sketchbooks very intimidating but I'll have a go with the analogous palette and see how I get on. Thanks Gina

Jess said...

I love to visit your blog to enjoy the burst of colour. Your vase sketch is so beautiful!
Jess xx

Anonymous said...

I love coming here, to your blog! I've been meaning to write for a long while, to tell you how much I appreciate your amazing talent and also your kindness to all of us who visit here. Your office/art space is so inspiring tome that I was moved to organize in a few of the same ways and now that you have shown how to do color organizing, I plan to do that, too.
I am planning next to do some watercolor backgrounds as you have shown us.
Having a teacher such as yourself is not only inspiring, but encouraging.
Your little son is very lucky fellow!
Thank you for all that you do!

Sandy said...

Sorry! Left my name out, which is Sandy and I'm from Dublin, CA.

Teresa said...

Hi, i had a question. i just love your storage ideas and really like how you've organized your paints. can you tell me where you got the multi tiered lazy susan organizer?

Anonymous said...

Hi Gina! Wow that's beautiful! One question- where do you purchase your paint palettes? I love the size of the rectangle one! Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...