Monday, March 24, 2014

Last Week's Watercolor Workshop: A Recap

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right-doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." ~ Rumi


************

I had such a wonderful and rewarding time teaching my watercolor class last Thursday (I posted some details about it here). What an amazing group of women! I couldn't be more proud!

 Above is a sample of some their stunning work. For many moms, they've never painted like this. I made sure to provide lots of watercolor tips and technique and some color theory. We even used salt and white crayons as cool resists. My only 2 class "rules" were: 1) please laugh at all my jokes and 2) have fun!

Part of my creative crusade is this: If we're excellent at praising, encouraging and nurturing our kids' artistic accomplishments, then we must stop deprecating ourselves in our own work (negative thinking, self-criticism, etc.). 

Art captures the beauty, the vulnerability, the honesty, and the graceful moments we often don't hear when we live a hectic life. This is why creativity is part of good self-care. It slows us down.

 What brave and beautiful moms! They stuck with a painting and didn't quit, they asked a lot of good questions as I went around, and the lovely energy that I felt for them and from them will last a lifetime. Hopefully for them too!

 Thanks for visiting.

1 comment:

martinealison said...

Bonjour chère amie,
En regardant l'ensemble des sourires de vos élèves, nul doute que ce fut un excellent moment de partage. Et quelle fierté elles peuvent avoir devant leurs oeuvres.
Gros bisous à toutes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...