Sunday, October 13, 2013

Two Quotes to Mediate On

I discovered two quotes that are currently nurturing, protecting and guiding my vulnerability as an artist.

The first one is by Jon Acuff: "Don't compare your beginning to someone else's middle."

The second one is from Brene Brown's book The Gifts of Imperfection: "Creativity, which is the expression of our originality, helps us stay mindful that what we bring to the world is completely original and cannot be compared. 
And, without comparison, concepts like ahead or behind or best or worst lose their meaning."


For years I secretly wished I went to art school. As a child there was zero encouragement from my family and at worst, I was shamed/ridiculed by school friends regarding my talent. My art did not blossom until I was nearly 30 years old, when I had the courage to sign up for a watercolor class at a community college. I'm here to say, it is never too late. Please don't compare your precious journey to anyone else's. I make it a practice to speak kindly to that inner child that wants to make art, that wants to be joyful, that wants to play with color.

Today, I believe more than ever that my art is both a celebration and validation that I am enough. My craft is enough. When I see beauty and want to capture it in my own special way, it is honoring who I am. 

Art is good self-care.

12 comments:

jabbott said...

First of all very meaningfull quotes.I agree art is your own personal stamp and I strife to put art out there thats come from the " heart" love your new illustration you are truely original x

Unknown said...

yes you are right. and very talented.

Unknown said...

THANK YOU for this. Wow. Thank you. It's hard to believe that you weren't painting like this as soon as you could hold a paintbrush and your family and friends were not CELEBRATING your creativity.

All I have really wanted to do is just PAINT. Not journal, not paint *something* to make it pretty, but put paint on canvas. But I didn't feel comfortable with what I created in comparison to others. So I tried to blend in painting with things I was better at, so I could paint but make be part of something with more "value".

Now I'm just painting, and it's ROUGH, but I've never been happier making art. It's just the beginning, though- I'm trying to remember that.

Anonymous said...

I could not agree more with you! I have been so guilty of this to the point that I had stopped creating again! Thanks for the reminder! You are very talented and I always enjoy seeing your work! HUGS!

Unknown said...

Hi Gina, you have shared a valuable lesson about what you have learned. It's always about honoring your journey.

Beverley Baird said...

Love both of those quotes. Your journal page is lovely!

Staci said...

I wish you could see and hear the standing ovation I'm giving you right now! Thank you so much for these words. I really needed this right now, and you said it as clearly and beautifully as anything I've read about creativity and its ability to wash away years of self-doubt.

Unknown said...

These quotes are perfect, I needed to see these right now in my creative journey. I also LOVE your piece, it is colorful and charming and lovely.

coco.nut said...

it's amazing to discover, that one of the artists you admire has the same self-doubt issues as you! (as me - in this particular case ;)) I've been working on not-comparing-my-art-to-others'-works for some time, but it's VERY difficult... especially when you see so many beautiful pieces of art around! so reading about it again was an important reminder and thank you for that!

Sandi Keene said...

Beautifully written and oh so true!

Jess said...

Thankyou Gina for sharing these thoughts here. I didn't start drawing or painting until I was in my thirties and often feel inferior to other artists who are producing amazing artwork in their twenties! Thankyou for this timely reminder that we're all on our own journeys and it's unfair to compare.
Your art journal pages are stunning!
Jess x x

Anewdawn 16 said...

same journey ...same doubts...i hope i reach somewhere...lovely quotes...vil add first one to my journal for sure...for me

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...